Room 17 Home
- A list of commonly used links for Room 17 is located below.
- To view "Recent Activity/Posts," please scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Links to our other pages contain further information with related attachments located on each page.
- Students are expected to complete 10% "Syllabus Progress" by the end of each month.
- AUG 10%
- SEP 20%
- OCT 30%
- FEB 70%
- MAR 80%
- APR 90%
- See "Files" to download more information and instructions.
- Students take STAR reading assessments each month at school to determine current reading level.
- Students are assigned an AR point goal each trimester based on their reading level.
- Students select and read books in their ZPD ("Reading Range").
- Students take AR quizzes to earn points to reach their goal.
- Students must also maintain an 85% average score on AR quizzes.
- Learn more about AR and how you can support AR success at home (see "Parents AR" PDF download).
- Sign-up to receive notifications about your child's AR tests.
- Parents must use an invitation code to logon (available upon request).
- What is Renaissance Home Connect?
- BoxTops4Education are available on General Mills products.
- Clip "BoxTops" and turn them in at Vejar before they expire.
- Each "BoxTop" is worth 10¢ for Vejar.
- Classrooms that raise turn in the most "BoxTops" win a reward.
Content standards are designed to encourage the highest achievement of every student, by defining the knowledge, concepts, and skills that students should acquire at each grade level.
- About once a month, students take a STAR reading assessment through the Renaissance Place website at school.
- The STAR Test produces a score knon as the students' ZPD (Zone of Proximal Development; a.k.a. “Reading Range”).
- An example of your child’s score might be 1.5 – 2.5 (interpreted as 1st grade reading level at month 5 through 2nd grade reading level at month 5).
- With their ZPD ("Reading Range") in mind, students are taught to choose books to read at their reading level.
- Classrooms visit the school library once a week. Students may check-out 2 books from the school library each week and are encouraged to not take these books home so they can return to the library later that same week and check out other books.
- Students may check out 1 book at a time to take home from our classroom library as desired.
- Students should alternate between fiction and non-fiction literature.
- Most of the books at school are marked for easy reference, but they may also choose books from home, Scholastic book orders, the public library, etc.. Books that do not have a marked reading level may be looked up at www.arbookfind.com.
- The teacher assigns AR point goals each trimester based on students' reading levels.
- This goal is modified for certain students based on individual needs/abilities.
- Students take AR quizzes to earn points.
- In second grade, 2-3 AR quizzes each week are usually sufficient for students to earn enough AR points to reach their goal on time.
- AR Quizzes must be taken at school.
- If they do not pass the quiz they may re-read the book and re-take the quiz.
- Students are encouraged to read at home 20 minutes/day and may bring those books to school to take quizzes if they are within the child's ZPD.
- Parents can view their child's AR progress through AR Home Connect. (An "Invitation for Renaissance Home Connect" is required to login.)
How to use AR BookFinder
- "Homework" & "Remembering" pages
- Due the next day
- Worksheet Packet (1 or 2 pages/day)
- Due Friday (Spelling Test on Fridays)
- 20 minutes/day > Reading Record
- Due Friday
ST Math Goals
ST Math Goals
End of –
Aug: 10% Jan: 60%
Sep: 20% Feb: 70%
Oct: 30% Mar: 80%
Nov: 40% Apr: 90%
Dec: 50% May: 100%
Scholastic Book Orders
This is a friendly reminder that your Reading Club orders are due by the 1st Friday of each month (Spirit Day). You can place your orders online at scholastic.com/readingclub using my class activation code: GNRWN